Budget Year / Version:

Program Description

  Group Insurance Retirees

Group insurance is provided to retired County employees and survivors, as well as retirees of participating outside agencies. Employees hired before January 1, 1987, are eligible upon retirement to pay 20 percent of the premium for health and life insurance for the same number of years (after retirement) that they were eligible to participate in the group insurance plan as an active employee. The County government pays the remaining 80 percent of the premium. Thereafter, these retirees pay 100 percent of the premium. Employees hired before January 1, 1987, are also offered the option at retirement to convert from the 20/80 arrangement to a lifetime cost sharing option.

Employees hired after January 1, 1987, are eligible upon retirement for a lifetime cost sharing option under which the County pays 70 percent of the premium and the retiree pays 30 percent of the premium for life for retirees who were eligible to participate in the County group insurance plan for 15 or more years as active employees. Minimum participation eligibility of five years as an active employee is necessary to be eligible for the lifetime plan. The County will pay 50 percent of the premium for retirees with five years of participation as an active employee. The County contribution to the payment of the premium increases by two percent for each additional year of participation up to the 70 percent maximum.

On March 5, 2002, the County Council approved a one-time opportunity for retirees still under the 20/80 arrangement with an expiration date to elect the lifetime cost sharing arrangement. The new percentage paid by the County for those electing this arrangement ranges from 50 percent to 68 percent, depending upon years of active eligibility under the plan and years since retirement. The cost sharing election process has been completed. The budget does not include employer contributions from participating outside agencies.

Program Contacts

Contact Kathleen Hynes of the Office of Management and Budget at 240.777.2767 for more information regarding the operating budget for the Non-Departmental Accounts.


Program Budget Changes

FY23 Approved ChangesExpendituresFTEs
FY22 Approved506186520.00
Multi-program adjustments, including negotiated compensation changes, employee benefit changes, changes due to staff turnover, reorganizations, and other budget changes affecting multiple programs.-16902150.00
FY23 Approved489284370.00